2010 was a fantastic and very productive year for the Emily C. Specchio Foundation thanks to your support! We truly have a lot to be thankful for.
With your help, the Emily C. Specchio Foundation has made major strides towards our mission of empowering youth to make a difference. Our accomplishments for this year include:
- The selection of four Virginia Tech students with excellent records of leadership, scholarship, and community service to award the endowed Emily C. Specchio Memorial scholarship, bringing the total scholarships award since inception to 17!
- Funding twelve young women entrepreneurs from around the world through Kiva no-interest microloans, bringing our total entrepreneurs supported to 24.
- Donation of a new Panasonic laptop computer (courtesy of Jay Caldas) to the Mother Patern School of Health Sciences Library in Monrovia, Liberia for the new Masters Program in Nursing Education.
- Helping Sister Prisca Nwogu, R.N., College of Saint Elizabeth Alum, in her humanitarian project to build a hospital in Evbuotubu Village, Nigeria, which will serve nearly 1 million people who currently have no nearby medical facilities.
Thank you all for your continuing support!! We hope to have an even bigger and more successful 2011. Happy New Year!
... the winners of our first ever Emily C. Specchio Ambassador award will be announced THIS WEEK! We will be posting the winning project idea along with the bios of the winners right here on our home page.
Also of note:
- SAVE THE DATE! The 4th Annual “A Night with an Angel” will be held on Monday May 3rd, 2010.
- Check out our newly funded Kiva Entrepreneurs! We fund young women in their 20′s that are taking initiative to raise out of poverty around the world.
- We are currently in the process of selecting this year’s Emily C. Specchio Memorial Scholarship recipients at Virginia Tech. We are pleased to report a very strong group of applicants again this year!
- We have 2 new initiatives support mentorship in the pipelines. One will involve working with a Blacksburg Elementary School in which Emily once volunteered, and the other will involve sponsoring young women active in community service to attend a Women’s Leadership Conference.
- Finally, a new scholarship will be added to our yearly support of youth making a difference. We have partnered up with the New Jersey Community Development Corporation (NJCDC) to fund an annual scholarship given to high school youth showing excellence in academics and community service.
We have been so busy this year adding new initiatives and supporting our established programs all in line with our mission of helping youth make a difference in the world.
Thank you for your continued support!!
Due to the overwhelming success in fully endowing The Emily Carrigg Specchio Memorial Scholarship at Virginia Tech, The Emily C. Specchio Foundation is pleased to announce new initiatives to further fulfill our mission of following in Emily’s footsteps and helping others both nationally and internationally.
“Be the Change you wish to see in the World” - Ghandi
In the spirit of one of Emily’s favorite quotes, we are pleased to announce THREE new initiatives of The Emily C. Specchio Foundation for 2009-10 onward. These new initiatives all focus on young people taking action in making the world a better place.
1. The start of The Emily C. Specchio Ambassador Program
The Emily C. Specchio Ambassador program will distribute grants to New Jersey residents aged 18-25 with a clear vision for a community outreach project to be started/completed within a year of receiving funding. The project can be designed to help others either domestically or internationally. To read more and apply visit our new Emily C. Specchio Ambassador Page.
2. Micro-lending to International Entrepreneurs
The Emily C. Specchio Foundation is now involved in the micro-financing of young women entrepreneurs in their 20′s living in developing countries through Kiva.org. Kiva is the world’s first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs around the globe. Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending for the sake of alleviating poverty.
View The Emily C. Specchio Foundation team page on Kiva.org and follow our currently funded entrepreneurs!
3. Partnership with The New Jersey Community Development Corporation (NJCDC)
The Emily C. Specchio Foundation is partnering up with the NJCDC to fund youth seeking to make a difference in innercity areas. The NJCDC is a not-for-profit organization focusing on community development, affordable housing, educational initiatives, and youth development for families, teens, children, and people with disabilities in Paterson, NJ.
The Emily C. Specchio Foundation is working towards the creation of a scholarship in collaboration with Paterson Youth Council, part of NJCDC, which is made up of dynamic young residents of Paterson between the ages of 13 and 19 who cultivate confidence, independence, leadership skills, and a voice of their own through service learning and community involvement.